William B. Smith
- Personal Injury
- Family Law
- Employment Law
- Administration of Estates
Bill Smith has been engaged in the general practice of law for almost fifty years with a special emphasis on Civil Litigation in Courts of all levels in Virginia. The primary areas of law he has concentrated in are Personal Injury, Family Law, Employment Law, and Wills, Trusts and Administration of Estates.
The greater part of Bill Smith’s Civil Litigation Law Practice has been in representing the Plaintiff in the various legal areas mentioned above, although he has had several cases in which he represented the Defend/ant in such matters. He has prosecuted numerous jury and bench trials to conclusion in Virginia Circuit and Federal Courts and has handled appeals of cases in the Supreme Court of Virginia, the Court of Appeals of Virginia and the Federal U.S. Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Bill Smith believes strongly that the secret to the success of a trial lawyer is in the preparation of cases for trial to include accumulation of all the relevant facts, legal research of Virginia statutes and cases, (and other states as well when necessary), interviewing the client and witnesses and preparing them for trial and having ready exhibits for introduction into evidence at the trial. The strength of trial preparation in the great majority of cases leads to satisfactory settlement of the case.
Bill Smith’s practice also includes the mediation of virtually any type of legal controversy, particularly Family Law issues such as spousal support, child custody, visitation, child support and division of marital assets and his office practice includes office advice and preparation of wills and trusts. In mediation cases, Mr. Smith clearly explains the mediation process to the participants and calmly helps them work together to resolve all issues. His success in resolving controversies in mediation is equal to or in the excess of the national average of eighty-five percent (85%).
- George Washington University National Law Center, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D. - 1955
- Lynchburg College, Lynchburg, Virginia
- B.A. - 1952
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- Court of Appeals of Virginia
- Virginia Supreme Court
- Winner of the American Bar Association Ross Essay Contest
- Member of Virginia’s Legal Elite in Civil Litigation
- Virginia State Bar, Past Member of the VSB Council
- Virginia State Bar, Litigation Section, Member
- Virginia State Bar, Family Law Section, Member
- Virginia State Bar, Litigation Section, Past Chair
- Virginia State Bar, Past Chair, Committee to Study Civil Litigation Cost and Delay
- Virginia State Bar, Past Member, Second District Ethics Committee
- Virginia State Bar, Past Chair, Senior Lawyers Conference
- Virginia Beach Bar Association, Past President and current Member of the Past President’s Council
- Virginia Beach Bar Association, Member, VBBA & Virginia Beach Circuit Court Liaison Committee
- Norfolk & Portsmouth Bar Association
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- Family Law Organization of Hampton Roads
Current Employment Position