/wp-content/uploads/sites/1103581/2024/01/group-mobile.jpg

Over 100 Years Of Collective Experience

Important motorcycle accident death statistics and information

On Behalf of | Mar 4, 2016 | Firm News, Motorcycle Accidents |

There are a lot of people riding motorcycles these days, and fortunately, most of them are thinking long and hard about safety before they get on their bikes. In addition, there are numerous groups and governmental organizations thinking about how to make life safer for the average motorcyclist — not the least of which being the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

According to the CDC, approximately 50 percent of people who died in motorcycle crashes in 2010 were 40 years of age and older. This represents an increase of 25 percent since 1995. Meanwhile, 90 percent of people killed in motorcycle crashes were men in 2010 — making the remaining 10 percent who die women. However, 89 percent of passengers who die in motorcycle crashes are women.

As for helmets, 41 percent of motorcycle drivers and 50 percent of passengers who died in motorcycle crashes were not wearing a helmet. Also, 28 percent of motorcycle riders who were killed in 2010 had blood alcohol concentrations of more than 0.08 percent. Finally, most people who pass away while riding motorcycles were operating sport motorcycles that have mid-sized engines. These sport bikes tend to be designed for speed and agility, but they are the most likely to be involved in a fatal crash.

Although these statistics might be scary to think about, every motorcyclist should keep them in mind. They should serve as a reminder to keep wearing one’s helmet, to avoid drinking and riding and to use extreme caution at all times when operating such a vehicle. Indeed, it is always better to avoid a motorcycle crash than to have to pursue a personal injury lawsuit for damages after irreversible injuries have already occurred.

Source: CDC, “Motorcycle Safety,” accessed March 04, 2016

Archives