You’ve never owned a home before, but you’ve always dreamed of it while renting an apartment. You want somewhere that you can really think of as your own. And now you think it’s finally time to take that next step.
Don’t take it lightly. This is a big decision. Below are 10 important tips that you want to keep in mind:
- You don’t have to take the first mortgage offer. Look into all of your options.
- Remember that you need to make a down payment. Start saving as soon as you can.
- Refrain from any potentially risky credit activity. Focus on keeping your score high.
- Look into your budget and the type of house you can truly afford.
- Remember that even small differences in mortgage rates can save you thousands or tens of thousands over the life of that loan.
- Look at the neighborhood, not just the house itself.
- If you have kids or you plan to have kids, consider the schools. You need to know how long you can live in that area.
- Before getting serious about a house, get a mortgage pre-approval letter. This allows you to make an offer.
- Go to open houses, even for homes you don’t want, to learn more about what to look for.
- Keep your eyes open for hidden issues. For instance, does that discoloration on the ceiling mean you need to paint or does it mean you need a new roof?
Buying a home is very exciting; there’s no doubt about that. Just make sure your excitement doesn’t get the best of you. You need to know how the process works and exactly what steps to take.