Don’t Just Hire A Lawyer
Get The Whole Team
Who Will Determine Your Child’s Future?
Child custody and visitation in Virginia are based on the best interest of the child. Whether the case is contested or uncontested, an initial determination or a modification, the best interest standard will apply.
At The Dickerson & Smith Law Group, we understand that child custody is one of the most difficult issues in a divorce. We will work hard to protect your relationship with your children and ensure that the custody and visitation orders are beneficial to the children’s well-being. Please call 757-828-0031 or 800-506-8133 to arrange an appointment or to speak with our Virginia Beach child custody attorneys today.
Factors In Child Custody Decisions
In Virginia custody cases, the court considers the following 16 factors:
- The present residence of the child
- Which parent has had the latest and longest custody of the child
- Which party has provided the most nurturing and close involvement in the child’s life
- Which party can provide the most stable living environment for the child
- Which party has possession of the family home, if any
- Which party readily shows the greatest ability to put the needs of the child first
- Whether either party has engaged in new and illicit romantic relationships
- If the parties are gainfully employed
- Which party has shown the ability to provide consistency and structure in the child’s life
- Which party is most likely to provide healthy contact with the other parent
- Which party can be most readily described as the primary caregiver in the child’s life
- Which party is most likely to provide a safe environment for the child
- Which party is most likely to allow the child to remain in contact with extended family
- Which party can provide the best living environment for the child
- How well the child generally performs in school with each party
- The child’s preference, if the child has reached a certain age
It is important to have an experienced lawyer argue your position in contested custody cases and to help you make informed decisions in mediated or negotiated cases. We can help to demonstrate your parental abilities as they relate to the considerations listed above.